Wednesday 25 November 2009

Salsa Dancing - Dance Your Way to Health and Happiness

Salsa dancing has taken the world by storm and continues to do so.

It's no surprise either why it has become so popular.

If you have ever watched two people Salsa Dancing you know it is absolutely mesmerizing. The fun, the energy the way the dancers move as one and the music make for a magical experience.

When I first saw a couple dance their passion for salsa was obvious and it immediately grabbed a hold of me. For the remainder of the song I forgot about my dinner that had just been served. I just could not take my eyes off of them. While watching I wished I had that amazing power to walk into a room, get onto the dance floor, change the atmosphere and leave people speechless. But more than that even I wished that I was on the dance floor having a great time like they were obviously having.

The next couple of days I spent trying to figure out what I could do to learn to dance salsa as well and I found that there are several ways. Taking lessons was the most obvious option but there were also instructional DVDs and stories from people that had learned by copying what they saw on the dance floor.

I decided that the best way to learn for me would be combining all of those. At first I had some 'startup' problems and it took me 6 years before I finally got going properly. I have not regretted a single moment since. My only regret is that I was not able to start sooner.

The main question on my mind when I started was "Can I do this?". As it turned out, I could. Along the way I have met so many different people that I now realize that it was a silly question. Anybody can learn to dance salsa. I have met people with hearing disabilities that dance salsa, a man with just one leg who dance and people, like me, who had no sense of rhythm when they started to learn. Now we are all dancing though and having a great time doing so.

We enjoy the music, the passion and the excitement of salsa dancing. And as a bonus we get the health benefits that are associated with dancing salsa. Dancing is after all an aerobic activity.

Salsa dancing in particular strengthens the core muscles which are the important muscles that help you every minute of the day. Not only that but salsa dancing burns around 380 calories per hour. A great bonus. Not only if you're trying to lose weight but also to help you stay in shape.

For more information about salsa dancing feel free to have a look at my blog, Becoming a salsero.

No comments:

Post a Comment